The holidays are upon us, and I know most of us may have plans to start the new year off right with a New Year’s Resolution to get back in shape.
How about making your New Year’s Resolution now; instead of waiting until the first day of next year? Here are some things that you should consider before starting your new health and fitness regimen:
- You will not see any INITIAL results for at least 6 weeks, so don’t get discouraged.
- You CANNOT spot reduce fat. You will lose fat all over.
- Get rid of that waist trimmer belt. It’s only making you sweat more.
- The scale is NOT your friend. WOMEN: Our weight fluctuates throughout our cycle so stay away from the scale, just gauge how much you have lost by how your clothes fit or know your measurements.
- Don’t weigh yourself after you workout. When you weigh yourself after you workout, you’re only weighing how much water you’ve lost and, for every pound of water you lose, you should replace it with 1 pint of water.
- Don’t be afraid to lift weights. Lifting weights has shown to help burn more calories, burn more fat, help to slow down osteoporosis, help to build new bone, and it tones your muscles. To see results, you should try to overload your muscles.
Fashionista or Fashionisto, I know a lot of you are like “OOO Girl I’m getting into a two piece next summer!”, and the guys are like “Yeah Man! I’m going to have six pack abs next summer!”
Tip: Getting into the two piece bikini or getting that six pack starts with changing the way you eat. The gym plays a minor part in your overall change. If your diet isn’t complimentary, you won’t see the results you’re looking for. Try my “Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with Chicken and Veggies” tonight: http://www.firstclassfashionista.com/archives/42836.
Below is a circuit workout that you can try out to get you started on your New Year’s Resolution today! This can be done at home or at the gym:
- Set an interval timer (Android and Iphone have apps for interval timers) for 30 seconds of work and 30 seconds of rest
- Equipment needed: Medicine ball, dumbbells, workout or yoga mat, and jump rope
*Do the exercises in order 6 times. This should take you no longer than 30 minutes*
- Jump Rope
- Russian Twists with Medicine Ball
- Dumbbell Biceps curl
- Front Shoulder raise with dumbbells
- Squats (imagine you’re going to sit down in a chair aka butt back while keeping your chest upright)
If you want to get “fancy” you can exchange the dumbbells for a barbell and for the squat you can even do a dumbbell swing. I know you’re like: “What in the world is a dumbbell swing?” A dumbbell swing is a TOTAL BODY WORKOUT! Not only do you target your lower body but you give your upper body a workout as well.
In the video below, check out my dumbbell swing!
I hope you all are motivated to get started on that summertime body NOW 🙂
Disclaimer: Consult your doctor before changing your health and fitness routine. Try at your own risk. This fitness tip was created only because we love to give back to our readers.